Monday, October 10, 2016

arugula salad

This past weekend I spent a good part of the daylight at a painting party.  A bunch of us were helping paint Robb's house.  We all brought food so it was fun.  I took a salad both days.  The Saturday salad was one that I have made several times before: mixed greens from the greenhouse, goat cheese, candied pecans and apples with a balsamic vinaigrette.  Alas, no pictures of that salad.

On Sunday I tried a new recipe that I found in an e-cookbook called Salads that Inspire-A cookbook of Creative Salads.  Although I am seeding for the winter greenhouse I don't have a lot that is harvest ready yet but I did have some enough mixed greens for the Saturday salad and some arugula.  So I went looking for an arugula salad.  
arugula in the greenhouse
 The salad from the cookbook called for grilled watermelon, pistachios and mint.  It was topped with a honey lime dressing.  
watermelon on the grill
 I chopped the mint from the garden with the mezzaluna and added it to the torn arugula. 
mint
 We all thought it was pretty good.  The watermelon was only slightly softened and a little caramelized.  The arugula was young and not as peppery as it would get as it matured.  The mint and the lime in the dressing added a brightness that really made the salad. 
finished salad

Arugula Salad


Dressing
1/4 cup honey
1/4 lime juice
zest of one lime

Salad
1 watermelon
4 cups loosely packed arugula
olive oil for drizzling
salt (I used pink Himalayan)
2 cups chopped mint
1 cup unsalted chopped pistachios, toasted (I could only find dry roasted and they were good)
Freshly ground pepper

 Cut the watermelon in slices.  Drizzle with olive oil and salt.  Grill 1-2 minutes per side.  Alternatively broil the watermelon.  They should be warmed and slightly charred.  Move the watermelon to a cutting board and remove the rind and cut into pieces.  Combine the dressing ingredients.  Add the pistachios and watermelon to the arugula and mint and toss.  Top with the dressing.

The arugula wilted  upon standing awhile so I would put the salad together right before serving.  I grilled the watermelon ahead of time so it had cooled but I think that slightly warm would be nice too.

Sharing with MM at BNOTP.


No comments:

Post a Comment