Monday, November 11, 2013

fresh pumpkin pasta

I had some pumpkin puree left over that was from a pumpkin that was grown in our garden this summer.  I have not made fresh pasta in a long time but I ran across this recipe on pinterest for a pumpkin pasta and it inspired me to drag out my pasta stuff and give it a try.    The source recipe was rolled with a rolling pin and cut into fettuccine by hand with a pizza cutter but I have a pasta roller so I used that.  This dough is made in a food processor so it is quick and easy.

flour and salt pulsed to mix

pumpkin, egg yolks and whole egg

pulse until it looks like cornmeal

water added a tablespoon at a time until dough forms

the dough gathered into a ball

wrapped in parchment to rest

the dough ball cut into forths

going through the rollers

thin pasta sheet ready to cut

cutting into fettuccine

hanging to dry


cooks in 1-2 minutes in boiling water
I tried a serving of pasta topped two different ways and both were good.

topped with pesto and Parmesan cheese
melted butter and cream

reduced until slightly thickened

stir in the cooked pasta


top with a little Parmesan cheese.

Fresh pumpkin pasta

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp pumpkin puree
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
water

Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.  Add the pumpkin puree, the egg and egg yolks and pulse until resembles cornmeal.  Drizzle water 1 tablespoon at a time while pulsing until a dough forms.  Gather the dough into a ball, dust lightly with flour and wrap in parchment or plastic wrap.  Allow to rest 30 minutes.  After resting divide the dough into smaller pieces and work with one piece while keeping the others covered.  Roll thin with a rolling pin or run it thru the pasta rollers of a machine until you get a thin sheet.  Dust with flour as needed but the less flour you are able to use the more flavorful and tender your pasta will be.  Cut your thin pasta sheet into noodles by hand or machine.  I hung my noodles to dry on a rack while I was working on the remainder of the dough.  Cooks in 1-2 minutes in boiling water.  Top with sauce.

I used part of my pasta dough to make ravioli but that is another post...

Source: The original recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment