Friday, January 3, 2014

a tale of two soups--soup one

This year for Christmas one of my gifts were several pint jars of bone broth.  Nathan followed the instructions in this video to make bone broth from venison bones.  



After cooking the broth for several days he canned the broth. It was a rich brown color.

I used one of the jars to make a hamburger vegetable soup.  I browned the hamburger, added the pint jar of broth and then filled the pot with water until it was about 3/4 full.  I added an assortment of frozen vegetables--ours was carrots, peas, corn and green beans some from our garden and some from the store. When the soup came back to a boil I added homemade pasta and cooked it until the pasta was al dente.

Not ever having had venison stock before  we were unsure what the flavor would be like.  Caitlin and I discussed adding tomatoes to the soup and decided that we could add tomato when we reheated the leftovers and see which way we liked it best.   Soup number one turned out great.  The broth has a very good flavor.  I used very little seasoning--a little salt and pepper and I added some dried cilantro.

Soup number one
 Extra fun was eating it out of another Christmas present--my soup/pasta plates.



hamburger noodle vegetable soup



1 pound hamburger, browned
1 pint venison bone broth
water
frozen corn, peas, green beans and carrots
homemade fettuccine, broken into 2 inch pieces
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dried cilantro

Brown the hamburger in a large stock pot.  Add the venison broth and water to about 3/4 full.  Add the frozen vegetables and the seasonings.  When the soup comes back to a boil add the fresh pasta and cook a couple minutes longer until the pasta is al dente,

No comments:

Post a Comment