Saturday, January 4, 2014

a tale of two soups--soup two

Yesterday I made a soup using Nathan's venison bone broth, hamburger, vegetables and homemade pasta and it was really good.  Caitlin and I had it for lunch.  See here for soup one.  We talked about what else would be good in it and decided to add some stewed tomatoes, cabbage and barley for a different version. 

Since our vegetables and pasta were already cooked I felt that adding uncooked barley and cabbage and cooking the soup until those ingredients were thoroughly cooked would leave the vegetables and pasta overcooked and likely turn them to mush.  Adding cooked barley and cabbage seemed the way to go so I cooked the barley according to the package directions and roasted the cabbage and then added both to the soup along with a quart jar of stewed tomatoes that I canned from tomatoes that grew in the garden this summer.

This soup also  had good flavor.   The vegetables and pasta  retained good texture.  The tomato mixed with the broth was good.  The cabbage and barley I would do again. 

soup two in a handcrafted bowl made by Nikole on a potter's wheel

closer shot of the veggies, barley and cabbage
If I were to make this soup from the start I would probably cook the barley and cabbage in the broth and then add the frozen vegetables when the cabbage and barley were close to done.  I like that provides a little variety. 

I think that other additions could include wild rice, lentils, other beans, navy, pinto or black, potato, sweet potato, squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment