Monday, October 27, 2014

leek and potato soup base

This is the first year that I have grown leeks and I have not cooked with them before so they are a new experience for me.  I was seeing lots of recipes for soup but most of them included dairy which is not recommended for canning.  So I was glad to find this recipe for a soup base that will get cream and some other additions when I use the base to make soup.  This one is leeks and potatoes in a stock.  The leeks and potatoes are prepped and layered in the hot jars and the hot stock is added to the raw vegetables.  They then are sealed and pressure canned for 60 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure.  I did my soup base in pints thinking that would make a nice amt of soup for one or there would be the flexibility of opening more than one jar if needed.  I used potatoes from the garden as well as the leeks and homemade chicken stock.  I am excited to make soup from this recipe.

Canned leek and potato soup base


6 medium potatoes, red or white
5 pounds leeks
chicken or beef stock

Prepare the potatoes by peeling and cutting into 1/2 inch dice and then place in cold water to prevent discoloration until time to fill the jars.  Prepare the leeks by soaking in cold water until they are clean and then slice across the leek into 1/4 inch slices and keep in cold water.  File a sterilized hot pint jar with a layer of leeks at the bottom, then a layer of the potatoes and top with another layer of leeks.  Fill to a 1" headspace with hot chicken or beef broth or stock.  Use a spatula to remove any air bubbles and then refill with additional stock or broth to return to the correct 1" headspace.  Add a lid and ring and process in a pressure canner for 60 minutes at 11 pounds pressure. 


source here

No comments:

Post a Comment