Monday, October 27, 2014

leek and potato quiche

I have an old 2 in 1 cookbook with recipes for quiche on one side and when you flip it over there are recipes for souffles.  It is pretty beat up. I have had it for years.  It is even missing one of the covers.  It was copyrighted in 1972.  There are no photos, just drawings and the pages for the souffles are different colored than the pages for the quiches.  It is a small book, just 5x8 inches and about 85-90 pages of quiches and a similar number of pages for souffles.  It is my go-to book for either souffles or quiches and today I made this leek and potato quiche from this book.  


I like how the book is set up.  On the quiche side it starts out with some information about quiches and the different types of rings/pans.  Next are recipes for three different crusts followed by recipes for two different custards.  The rest of the section is recipes for different quiches using combinations of ingredients.  The way the book is designed encourages experimentation and ingredient substitutions.  


  This time I used the classic quiche pastry although I have also used the rich quiche pastry and I like both.  I used custard A which is described as richer and firmer.  This quiche is built by making the crust and lining the pan.  I used a one piece stoneware pan this time and once the crust is in the pan it is brushed with a little unbeaten egg white and then pricked with a fork.  The cooked vegetables are added to the unbaked crust and then the custard is poured over and the quiche is baked.  I was very pleased at how it turned out.  I grew leeks for the first time this year so I am learning how to use them.  I really like their mild onion flavor.  Next time making this recipe I think that I will increase the vegetables and the custard.  My pan is a little bigger than recipe called for and I think a little thicker filling would make for a more substantial portion and probably it could be cut into more pieces.


Leek and Potato Quiche


Classic Quiche Pastry

1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
pinch salt
3 Tbsp firm butter
3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
2-5 Tbsp ice cold milk

Cut the butter and shortening into the flour/salt mixture until fine and mealy.  I used my food processor but a pastry blender or fingers would work as well.  Start mixing the dough gently as you add the milk 1 Tbsp at a time until you can just gather it into a firm yet crumbly ball.  Less milk will result in a flakier pastry.  Roll the dough into a circle.  The directions suggest rolling it between 2 sheets of wax paper but I use a cloth covered pastry board which works fine.  Line the pan. Prick all over the bottom and sides with a fork and then brush the surface with a bit of unbeaten egg white.

Vegetables

2 pounds boiling potatoes, thinly sliced
1 medium onion (I used leeks in 1/4 inch slices)
6 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.  Add the leek and potato slices.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook over medium heat until onions are soft and potatoes are browned and getting crispy.  Place the vegetables in the crust.

Custard

1 cup whipping cream
4 egg yolks
pinch each of salt, cayenne, nutmeg

Blend together and pour the custard over the vegetables in the crust  Bake in preheated 375°  oven for 40-45 minutes or until filling is cooked. 





No comments:

Post a Comment