Monday, October 27, 2014

zucchini jam

One of the recipes I found this summer when looking for zucchini recipes is this one for zucchini jam.  It has few ingredients and it uses jello in place of a pectin product.  Since zucchini is not strongly flavored the Jam benefits from the jello for both color and flavor.  I have made a couple of batches and both of them have set up well.  The first time that I made this jam I had not been specific enough with my grocery list and ended up with a small box of jello in place of the larger one that was called for so I used one small box of  apricot and for the other box I substitute a lime flavor and the jam was green in color and citrusy in flavor but still pretty good.  I am thinking that you could substitute a variety of flavors or combinations of flavors and all would be interesting.  I used my oversized zucchinis, peeled and seeded and grated, and it turned out great.  This year I had more than the usual amt of surprise finds and after freezing a bunch for baking it was nice to have another use for them.

Zucchini Jam

6 cups peeled, seeded and grated zucchini
6 cups sugar
6 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup lemon juice,
1 6 oz or 2 3oz packages dry apricot jello


Combine zucchini and sugar in large kettle or stockpot and bring to a boil.  Boil six minutes. Add the drained pineapple and lemon juice and boil another six minutes.  Stir in the jello and when mixed well pour into sterilized jars and seal.  I processed my jars in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.



Source: here.

No comments:

Post a Comment