Thursday, October 24, 2013

how to freeze kale

When you look on the internet there are lots of directions for freezing kale.  This is what I did:

When I picked the kale I gathered it into bunches and put a rubber band around the stems.
Then I swished the kale bundle in a bowl of water and then rinsed it under the faucet.

I blanched it by placing it in pot of boiling water, still rubber banded together.

After one minute I used my tongs to lift the bundle from the boiling water and placed the bundle in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
When the kale was cool I removed the rubber band and took each individual leaf and placed it on the cutting board with the two sides of the leaf folded together and the stem exposed to be cut away with a knife.
If your kale leaves are large the kale halves can be cut smaller by running a knife through the pile a couple of times.

Then since my kale was still holding on to a lot of water I placed mine in a salad spinner and removed what water I could.

Then it is just to bag up and date the blanched kale and place it in the freezer.

It will be a great addition to soups and other cooked kale recipes.




No comments:

Post a Comment